With over 14,000 skiers and riders building their own Where I’ve Skied galleries since we launched the app one week ago, we thought it’d be fun to dig into the data and see what interesting nuggets we could find. And find we did:
- The current all-time Where I’ve Skied Challenge record is held by Jim Read, former Olympian representing Canada in the 1984 and 1988 Winter Olympics, coming in at a staggering 328 ski areas. Chris Davenport, named one of North America’s Top 25 skiers by Skiing Magazine, came in at a more than respectable 178. The bar has been set high!
- The current low? 0 ski areas. Not to worry, that’s what this season is for (just remember to come back and update your gallery come April)
- The average user has been to a whopping 29 ski areas, blowing away our expectation of 6 ski areas. Looks like the early adopters of the app are, not all that surprisingly, die hards. I have to assume that the average will drop as more and more skiers and riders discover the app. After all, hitting even 6 ski areas is nothing to scoff at. And despite the sense of accomplishment that comes with checking resorts off the list, there’s also something to be said for returning to the ski areas you know and love.
- Skiers and riders originating from 67 countries wrangled their list of ski areas together last week. The top originating countries of app users are: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, France, Netherlands, Brazil, Switzerland, Germany and New Zealand. But we also had people all the way from Laos and Trinidad, going to ski areas spanning the globe from Oukaimeden in Morocco to Ganchon Resort in South Korea to the indoor slopes of Ski Dubai in the UAE.
- The ski area that more skiers and riders added to their list than anywhere else? Vail in Colorado.
- The internal record at Liftopia headquarters is held by Rob Webb at 71 ski areas, with the average Liftopia employee having visited 24 ski areas.
- As for me: I’m pretty content with a relatively modest 20 ski areas checked off my own list. But I couldn’t help but notice a few friends and co-workers on my list within striking distance, which might just be motivating enough to get out there and give a few new resorts a try this winter. Watch your back Ron Schneidermann (25 ski areas) and Dawn Lyon (22 ski areas).
- Otto Imken, Liftopia’s VP of Support, wrote a blog post over the summer on celebrities you might run into on the slopes. I’m admittedly slightly curious where all these celebs have skied, so the obvious thing to do was hit them up on Twitter, including Paris (@ParisHilton), Oprah (@Oprah), Seinfeld (@JerrySeinfeld) and the former governator (@Schwarzenegger), to name a few. If they think they can compete and accept the challenge, we’ll be sure to let you know how they stack up. And feel free to challenge them yourself!
If you haven’t had a chance to build your gallery yet, you might just recall a few memories on the slopes that you’ve since forgotten, or find a new ski area or two to check off the list this winter. Whatever the case may be, let us know how you stack up against your friends and what’s on your bucket list for this season!